Totally a real day. How awesome is this!
In honour of today, I decided to try a recipe from one of my favourite blogs called Joyous Health. The recipe is for Quinoa Goat Cheese Brownies. I know… sounds ridiculous. Thought the same thing when I first read the post, but they’re super delicious. I promise. In fact, they’re shockingly similar to my one of my momma’s holiday specialties (Cherry Cream Cheese Brownies).
Difference? These have enough healthy ingredients to make your tummy feel good, that they’re practically for breakfast (sorry Mom!).
Here goes… This is Joy’s version of the recipe: http://www.joyoushealth.ca/2012/10/16/quinoa-goat-cheese-brownies/
I only made very minor tweaks to the ingredients as follows:
- 1-1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (I also used dairy-free)
- 3/4 cup butter or coconut oil (I used coconut butter. This is one of my fave brands: http://www.artisanafoods.com/products/coconut-butter)
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup organic coconut sugar (this is the not so healthy part… I went for the good ‘ol brown sugar. Perhaps I’ll try a more natural substitute next time!)
- 2 large eggs (or you could try Joy’s chia egg substitute — I opted to go for 3 tbsp of ground flax seed combined with 6 tbsp of water)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup quinoa flour
- 1/4 cup almond milk (recipe calls for buttermilk)
- 1 cup crumbled goat cheese
For instructions, check out Joy’s blog above, plus many more yummy things she has to offer.
Enjoy! Happy Sunday :)