Minty lip-smacking goodness!
In the spirit of the holiday season, I’ve been having some fun in the kitchen experimenting with recipes (not going to lie, possibly even dancing along to a little bit of my boy Bublé’s “It’s begining to look a lot like Christmas!!”)
Candy canes and silver lanes that glowww! Doo doo dooo!
This morning I came up with some Chocolate Chip Peppermint Gluten Free Pancakes for brunch. Didn’t get great pics, as they ended up in my belly before I could share the visuals with you. I’ll share nonetheless. These are actually vegan too – so dairy- and egg-free (depending on the type of chocolate chips you use!).
Jack’s Chocolate Peppermint Pancake Goodness
Serves 2 (add a couple of Mimosas and you’ve got a hot brunch date!)
– 1 1/2 cups gluten free all-purpose flour
– 2 1/2 tsp pure peppermint extract
– 2 tsp pure vanilla extract (I like to use bourbon vanilla extract ;) President’s Choice sells it.)
– 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
– 4 tsp agave nectar
– 1 tsp baking powder
– 2 tbsp of virgin coconut oil *
* There is a difference between virgin oil and regular oil or butter . I’m still figuring it out in detail in terms of health benefits, but I know it does require a different refining process, and virgin oil tastes much more like the natural, raw coconut meat, rather than a fake coconutty flavour. The texture is also much better for select types of baking. This is the brand I used:
Whisk all ingredients together in a bowl. Warm pan on low-medium heat. Pour your batter in and sprinkle some dairy-free chocolate chips (if you want vegan pancakes) or just regular chocolate chips if you’re not fussy about whether or not they’re vegan pancakes. The amount depends on how chocolatey you want them to be! My favourite is dark chocolate.
Et voilà! Plate ’em up and garnish with some fresh mint leaves and pure maple syrup!